Butter Prawn Recipe
On a roll with these recipes here. Today’s recipe is going to be sinful But, my aunty requested it so I can’t disappoint her. Instead of just sending it to her, I thought it would be great to share it with all of you as well.
So there are many variations of Butter Prawns. Not quite sure if is common in the West but it sure is a popular dish in Malaysia. Some prefer it wet, while some like it dry or coated in Nestum flakes. I learned this version from a family friend and it has never failed to please!
- 500g prawns (must be raw)
- 10 curry leaves (can be replaced with Basil)
- 1/2 red chilli
- 2 egg whites
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp white pepper
- 3tbsp cornflour
- 500ml oil
- 2 1/2tbsp butter
- 1/4can sweetened condensed milk (based on 250ml can)
- De-vein the prawns and clean them. Shell them if you prefer them without.
- Place in a container or bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the egg whites and mix well.
- Leave to marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours, overnight it best.
- Remove marinated prawns from fridge and drain it. The aim is to get rid of most of the excess egg white.
- While the prawns are draining, wash the curry leaves, slice and de-seed the chilli.
- In a dish of your choice put in all the cornflour.
- By now the prawns should be properly drained, give it a good shake and toss them into the cornflour ONE BY ONE.
- Ensure that the prawns are completely coated and shake of any excess cornflour. If you are getting low on cornflour, top up.
- Now, heat up all the oil and deep fry the prawns. It is ready when it turns golden.
- Set deep fried prawns aside.
- In a clean wok or deep pan, melt the butter on medium heat.
- As the butter starts to melt, toss in the curry leaves and sliced chilli.
- When the butter is all melted, add in the sweetened condensed milk slowly. Turn down the heat slightly.
- Stir it in and taste. If you prefer it sweeter add more sweetened condensed milk or more butter if you think the mixture is too sweet.
- When it reaches your desired taste, turn the heat up to high and let it bubble.
- When it starts to bubble, put the deep fried prawns into the mixture and toss it together to coat the prawns.
- Place in dish and serve.
- Buy prawns when it is cheap. Carry out preparation steps then portion into containers/Snap lock bags to freeze. When you fancy some butter prawns, defrost and carry out cooking steps.
- If you prefer wet butter prawns, don't let the mixture bubble too long. If you prefer it slightly dry, let the mixture start to curdle slightly before tossing the prawns into the mixture.
- You can deep fry the prawns using a wok, deep fryer, pot or whatever. I am not sure about an airfryer....try at your own risk?
Simple isn’t it? The fragrance of the curry leaves and hint of spice from the chilli really packs a punch while complimenting the sweet butter mixture perfectly. Try it out and let me know how you get on! I have a busy week ahead of me so I may not be updating at all. Till next time .